Although we aim to provide meticulously customized facial rejuvenation treatment plans here at our Union Square plastic surgery practice, we also encourage our clients to do their part in achieving and maintaining a naturally refreshed and rejuvenated look after a procedure, may it be Botox, a face lift, or a session of dermabrasion.
It’s Called Beauty Sleep for a Reason
It may sound like standard advice that has been passed on from one generation to another but the idea of getting enough sleep to keep yourself youthful and attractive is actually backed by science. In fact, a recent study found a solid link between sleep and the appearance of the signs of aging.
Here’s an excerpt from the study’s press release:
“The researchers found statistically significant differences between good and poor quality sleepers. Using the SCINEXA skin aging scoring system, poor quality sleepers showed increased signs of intrinsic skin aging including fine lines, uneven pigmentation and slackening of skin and reduced elasticity. In this system, a higher score means a more aged appearance. The average score in the good quality sleepers was 2.2 versus 4.4 in poor quality sleepers. They found no significant difference between the groups in signs of extrinsic aging, which are attributed primarily to sun exposure, such as coarse wrinkles and sunburn freckles.”
Now that there’s already a solid body of scientific evidence proving that poor quality of sleep can actually accelerate the signs of skin aging and reduce its ability to repair itself, we recommend the following easy steps to making sure that you improve the quality and quantity of your sleep:
- Make an effort to build a sleeping routine; sleep and wake up at the same time each day.
- If you’ve been sleeping with the lights on or the window shades up, try to sleep in the dark by turning the lights off, getting dark shades, or wearing an eye mask.
- Try to sleep with socks on your feet so you can keep your extremities warm and promote comfort.
Avoid caffeine after lunch and try to stick to one cup in the morning.
- Eat better by choosing foods from whole food sources and avoiding highly processed food. You might also want to limit your alcohol intake.
- Step away from the screen (television, smartphone, and the likes) at least an hour or two before you plan to sleep.
Let Us Help You Put Your Best Face Forward!
Apart from improving the quality and quantity of your sleep, regular visits at our practice can help you put your best face forward!
Call us at 415.398.7778 or fill out this contact form to schedule an appointment. San Francisco plastic surgeon Dr. Mosser does more than perform the procedure of your choice, he also aims to provide you with personalized treatments and/or treatment combinations to help restore and reveal your natural beauty!
Comments are closed.